I still remember how years ago I discovered how easy it is too make hummus: you throw some chickpeas and a little seasoning in a food processor; you whizz it all together – that is all. Not much of a recipe really.
But now I discovered that adding roasted beets turns hummus a stunning pink. Now this is a recipe worth sharing….
(inspired by the blog ‘Our Share of the Harvest’)
2 medium beets
60 (-120) ml lemon juice
2-3 tbsp tahini (to taste)
1-2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
optional: a few splashes Tabasco
2-4 cloves of garlic (depending on how much of a kick you would like)
2 cans of chickpeas (about 450g / 16oz each)
1 tbsp parsley
optional: 60ml-100ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F. Wash the beets. Wrap them in a foil parcel and bake 20-60 minutes unitl tender (depends on the age of your beets). They are done when you can easily insert a knife. When the beets are cool enough to handle remove the skin (wear gloves).
- The trick to smooth hummus is the order in which you mix the ingredients: start with the tahini, lemon juice and water. Mix in a food processor until creamy, scraping the sides a few times.
- Then add chopped beets and process until smooth.
- Now add chopped garlic and chickpeas.
- Blend until you have a creamy consistency.
- If you would like a smoother consistency drizzle in the olive oil with the machine running.
- Before serving drizzle with olive oil. Chop parsley and sprinkle on top.
Tips & Variations
Leave out the beets and you have a quick and tasty hummus.
Other pink foods for a baby shower: