Cheesy Quinoa Cakes
Lately I have been on a quest for recipes that are both healthy and satisfying. This dish is one of my favourite discoveries.
It uses quinoa which has a wonderfully nutty flavour and high nutritional value: it is rich in protein (18%) essential amino acids and iron.
And just to share some more useless facts with you: quinoa is not a grain it is actually a seed and belongs to the same family as spinach and beetroot.
To the Inca’s quinoa was sacred until the Spaniards conquered the Incan empire in the 1500’s. The Spaniard destroyed the crops and made growing Quinoa illegal.
4-5 cakes makes 1 large serving
2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup / 75g dry quinoa)
3 tbsp grated strong cheese
1 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together until well combined. Season with salt and allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan. Add a little oil.
- Form patties (either by hand or using a serving ring straight in the frying pan) and cook around 5 min on each side.
These Quinoa Cakes are a great side for Salmon Burgers with Wasabi Tofunnaise.
Tips & Variations
- Instead of spring onion use fresh herbs like mint and parsley.
- The mixture keeps for a few days in the fridge. Which means you can increase the amounts and whip up a few cakes the next day for lunch.