Irish Soda Bread
This bread is easy and quick to make! I enjoyed it with perfectly boiled egg for breakfast and the left-over buns with smoked salmon for lunch on the first day in my new kitchen.
4 small bun size breads serves 2
110 all-purpose flour (and a little more for sprinkling baking sheet)
½ -1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
Optional: ½ tsp sugar
50 – 70ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 220C. Prepare a baking sheet by dusting it with a little flour.
- Sift together the dry ingredients a few times to make sure the baking soda is mixed with the flour.
- Add three-quarters of the buttermilk and stir. The mixture will be soft but lumpy. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Mix ingredients quickly but not too long or forcefully to avoid having a heard bread as a result. The dough will be quite moist and sticky.
- Quickly knead the dough for about 15 sec.
- Divide the dough into about 4 buns.
- Place buns on baking sheet and flatten.
- Cut a deep cross to form a cross on every bun (cut should go half way through dough).
- Bake at 220C for 10 minutes. Then turn down the heat to 20C and cook for another 10-15 minutes