It has been so busy lately I have had no time to blog. There have been days I hardly even had the time for groceries or cooking.
What do you make for dinner on those days were you really do not feel like preparing a meal (or going food shopping)?
…..my go-to meal is quesadillas with bean salad.
The backbone of the dish is two tortillas with cheese in between. You can add any filling ingredients you like; your imagination (or the content of your fridge) is the only limit.
I have tried many variations, but usually I make this dish when I I do not feel like shopping. So I always have a can of tuna and a can of giant white beans in my cupboard. The tuna goes into the quesadilla and the beans are the base of my salad. I then raid the veg drawer of the fridge for anything that I can chop up and either add as filling to my tortillas or throw into my salad.
Usually it only takes me 15 minutes until I can bite into a fragrant golden tortilla oozing with comforting cheese.
1 400g can of giant white beans
1/2 red capsicum (NL, DE: paprika)
1 spring onion
salt and pepper
4 (or 6) tortillas
1-2 130g cans of tuna in water
50-100g grated cheese
- Wash and drain the beans.
- Deseed the tomato. Chop tomato, capsicum and spring onion.
- Add half the chopped vegetables to the beans.
- Chop parsley and add.
- Dress with a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat one (or two) frying pan(s) . Place one tortilla in the pan. Top with some of the vegetables and grated cheese. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Layer the second tortilla on top.
- Cook until golden. Carefully flip and cook the second slide.
- Slice into halves or quarters and serve with the salad.
Tips & Variations
Consider some of the following
- Cooked chicken, fried bacon, avocado, spring onion, cheddar
- Fried mince beef (with onion, herbs or taco seasoning), red capsicum, corn, cheddar
- Sautéed onion, tomato, goats cheese
- Cooked ham, mozzarella, olives
- Corn, black beans, cheese, cilantro
- Spinach, mushroom, cheese
- Chive omelet
Or go sweet
- Peaches, brie, drizzle with honey when cooked
- Apple, thyme, gouda
- And I know it sounds crazy, but: strawberry jam and grated cheese