Tuna Tartar Appetizer
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I am grateful for any occasion that reminds me to be appreciative. And so to me Thanksgiving is an invitation to think about all that I am thankful for: my family, my friends, myself, the life I lead and just plain everything (summarizing here…)
I was reminded of just how much I am thankful for, when I was invited to a pot-luck thanksgiving dinner last weekend. The theme, of course, was showing thanks; it took me days to decide what to cook. Such a struggle to settle on one dish when you can only think of more and more things you are thankful for.
So I decided to show my appreciation for abundance by bringing a little bit of EVERYTHING: the sea, the land and the skies.; little cups flowing over with either Tuna Tartare, Spicy Beef or Asian Chicken.
For a glance at the other recipes at this special Edible Europe Dinner click here.
Below the recipe for the tuna tartar. Recipes for the beef and chicken will follow as an instruction on how to make little wonton cups
(based on Ina Gartner’s recipe from the Food Network.com)
250g sushi quality tuna
1 tbsp olive oil
zest of 1/2 lime
juice of 1/4 lime
1/4 tsp wasabi (powder)
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp Tabasco
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 chopped spring onions
1/2 red chili
1 avocado (can be left out)
Optional: 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Combine oil, lime zest and juice, wasabi, soy, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Cut tuna into very small dice. Add to the marinade.
- Discard the seeds and chop the chili as well as the spring onion very fine. Save some of the spring onion as garnish. Add remainder to the fish.
- Allow to sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Cut the avocado into small cubes. Combine with the fish. Spoon into the wonton cups. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Decorate with reserved spring onion.
- a cracker or toast. Choose a neutral flavour that will match the delicate Asian taste of the tartar.
- shallow fry a sheet of wonton in some oil, allow to drain and use it as a “cracker”
- make little cups out of wonton sheets