On the verge of a 2013.
A strange time of the year: looking back, looking forward; around the turn of the year I seem to live more in yesterday and tomorrow than in the moment.
But then thankful there is always food to celebrate the moment and anchor us in the now.
So this year I send my good wishes – through blinis : nutritious buckwheat for health, downy egg whites for happiness, pearls of caviar for plenty and the bliss of the combination for love.
I wish you a wonderful New Year!
(from the blog ‘The Wandering Eater‘)
About 8 small blinis
2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
60ml (1/4 cup) milk
1 large egg
optional: 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
crème fraîche (or a lovely creamy yoghurt like Total 0%)
optional: dill for decoration
- Combine buckwheat and all-purpose flour in a bowl. Add sugar, soda, salt.
- Separate egg.
- Whisk egg yolk and milk into dry ingredients until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg white until it forms peaks.
- Fold whites under batter.
- Wipe pan with a little oil. Make blinis with about 1 tbsp of batter each.
- Cook until bottom is golden and the top dry with a few bubbles. (About 1 minute.) Flip and cook for another minute.
- To keep them warm whilst making the rest, transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Serve immediately.
- Top with a little crème fraîche, caviar and a tiny sprig of dill.
- Refrigerate to allow it to thicken.