Oat Banana Pancakes
When you were a teenager, did you have a friendship so close that you saw each other almost every day?
Then your paths separated. Over the years you stayed in touch. Picking up conversation stays easy, but your lives develop in such different directions that sometimes it is almost like becoming acquainted to a friendly stranger over and over again.
Decades later you get the chance to be friends again. You discover how much you have both changed. How different your old friend is, how different you are.
And then you make the peculiar discovery that both of you have new things in common.
This fabulously healthy recipe is for my long-time friend LL.
“Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.” – Groucho Marx
(found on the blog ‘Ambitious Kitchen‘)
About 8-10 pancakes
2 ripe medium bananas,
175ml (3/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk)
90g (1 cup) oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
A few drops of vanilla essence
- In a blender, add the bananas, cut into in chunks, with almond milk.
- Puree until completely blended and smooth.
- Add oats, baking powder, salt and vanilla essence
- Blend for about 1 minute until all is well combined.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken. It should be a rather thick batter consistency. You can add a little more milk if necessary.
- Heat a non-stick or crepe pan.
- Make small pancakes (about 60ml batter per pancake). Spread a little with a spoon.
- Cook until until golden, moist yet cooked through. (It took me a few attempts to get this just right.)
These pancakes are slightly dense. Adding something moist adds an lovely dimension:
- banana slices
- maple syrup
- fresh fruit
- some (frozen) blueberries, heated
- raspberry (apple) compote
Tips & Variations
Add a slightly different flavour to the pancakes by adding
- a little cinnamon
- sprinkle chocolate chips into the batter as soon as you have ladled it into the pan
- add a few (frozen) into the batter as soon as you have ladled it into the pan
Exelent idea and the perfect breakfast….love this receipe.
tasty oat banana pancakes! i love them & the variations too! 🙂 MMMM!
I think this is actually my favourite breakfast dish at the moment. I have to admit I was planning to make them again tomorrow! Incredible that something can be so tasty and healthy at the same time 🙂