There has been a dramatic shift in weather (the snow vanished overnight and temperatures are 10C above 0C instead of below). And no matter that it is January, it feels like spring. All of a sudden I am craving fresh vegetables and fruit.
I remembered the fabulous Green Smoothie that I was making regularly before winter set in. I decided to experiment with some different ingredients. I remembered a recipe with beets that just seemed crazy enough to try. The result? A fabulous red smoothie that I just cannot get enough of. It is fresh and fruity with a deep earthy undertone.
Sound interesting? Try it, you will not be disappointed
Sound too weird to be any good? Try it, you will be surprised
150g (1 cup) blueberries or cherries
1 medium beet, baked or cooked until soft
1/2 medium cucumber
handful of spinach
juice of 1/2 lime
splash of vanilla essence
250ml 1 cup rice milk (or hemp or almond)*
optional: 1 tsp chia seeds
optional: 1 tsp faxseeds
- For a wonderfully icy drink add frozen berries to the blender. Otherwise allow the berries to defrost first.
- Peel the beets and cut them into chunk and add.
- Cut cucumber into chunks and add.
- Add spinach, lime juice, vanilla and milk.
- Optional: add chia and flax seeds.
- Blend until smooth.
Tips & Variations
- Spinach can be replaced with 3-4 kale leaves
- Add a spoon full of protein powder or hemp
- Truth be told: variations are endless