Halloween is close again and it is time for dressing up and chasing out those demons. This weekend my dear friends H & J MF invited me over for a fabulous Halloween party at their lovely (ups, sorry, horrific) house. Of course the question then was: what to wear; who do I want to be this year?
So let me ask you: If you would create a super hero alter ego for yourself, who would you be?
During the day I would be a wholsome-looking cook in a frilly apron, serving up platefuls of nurturing and heart-warming food. But then when danger threatens my beautiful, safe and muffinscented world, I would turn into a black flash of ligthening, a master at using every day kitchen implements to defuse any type of dangerous situation.
My symbols? My civilian self would cradel a cup of warm anis-flavoured milk and smile beningnly at the folly of life. My alter ego, on the other hand, would be glaring over the edge of a cocktail glass, judging the world.
Of course this cocktail could not be an appeltini or a cosmopolitan; it would have to be a black widow.
Black or red salt
1 part silver tequila
2 parts good quality blackcurrant juice (mine was lightly sweetened with grape juice)
- Chill the tequila and juice.
- Rub the rim of your cocktail glass with lime.
- Place salt on a plate and dip the glass in the salt to crust the rim.
- I would suggest making a small amount first so you can tweak the ratio to your own taste.
- Place lime juice, tequila, juice, ice in a cocktail shaker and blend. (you can skip this step and just pour the ingredients straight into a jug or glass).
- Pour into the glass without the ice cubes.
- Decorate the glass with a blackberry.
Tips & Variations
Consider some of the following
- vodka instead of tequila
- add cassis
Other Halloween ideas