Amazing: healthy, quick and bursting with flavour, this is one of my favourite go-to meals.
A beautiful combination of earthy lentils, sweet tangy strawberries and peppery basil. A fabulously summery dish to celebrate those last warm days of the season.
This must also be one of the quickest recipes I know. Perfect for a hot day where you want to be playing outside instead of being stuck in a steaming kitchen. At the same time this dish is so original and fresh tasting I am sure you will be making this long after the summer has gone.
(recipe only slightly adapted from the blog ‘healthy delicious‘)
2 cans of lentils (or you could of course cook180g (1cup) lentils du Puy)
1/2 re onion
about 8 large strawberries
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
a handful of basil leaves
2 tuna steaks
- Allow the tuna to come to room temperature.
- If you are using canned lentils: rinse the lentils and allow to drain.
If you are using dried lentils: Bring the lentils and 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water to the boil. Simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Whisk oil, balsamic and seasoning together.
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Mix the dressing and onion with the (warm) lentils (and allow to cool).
- Cut the strawberries into large pieces.
- Cut the basil into thin little strands.
- Heat a frying pan and fry the tuna on a medium high heat. About 2-3 minutes per side. You are looking for a golden crust and a juicy raw center.
- Fold the strawberries and basil under the lentils and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve the tuna with the strawberry salad on the side.
Something green: cooked green beans or just a handful of rapunzel salad (DE: Feldsalat NL: veldsla)
Tips & Variations
This salad would also work well with a chicken breast or a steak.