This is not really a recipe, more of a starting point and an invitation to be creative (or use up your leftovers).
The basics are that you quickly fry up some veg. Whisk some eggs and bake both in a muffin tin in the oven.
Usually I make this dish if I realize I have too many vegetable scraps lingering in the fridge or I am just craving a hearty carb free breakfast. Actually it also makes a great side dish to a piece of meat for a light dinner.
Below you van find one of my favourite combinations but the variations are endless. Do you have a special combination you particularly like?
Makes 6-8 muffins
1 garlic clove
½ red capsicum (bell pepper)
2 handfuls of spinach
1 tbsp chopped basil (this really is the special ingredient)
2 tbsp crumbled feta
2 egg whites
- Heat oven 180C.
- Chop the onion and dice the capsicum. Sauté with minced garlic until soft.
- Tear the spinach and add.
- Whisk egg and egg whites together.
- Add basil, feta, salt, pepper.
- Combine vegetables and eggs. Pour mix into a muffin tin.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes and serve hot or room temperature
Tips & Variations
Consider some of the following
- Cherry tomatoes
- Leek and ham
- Spinach and ricotta
- Mushroom and spring onion
- Peas and mint
- Grated zucchini, mint, feta and roasted pine nuts (my favourite frittata as a side dish for dinner)
- All your leftover fresh herbs and roasted pine nuts