Summer Fruit Breakfast Yoghurt with Oats
Enjoying the most wonderful summer heat wave – much too nice to stay indoors and blog regularly…..or cook for that matter….
Usually my idea of a prefect weekends involves pancakes for breakfast, but with this weather I hardly want to stand over a hot stove, endlessly flipping pancakes. Thankfully this fabulously summery dish crossed my path: some fruits stewed with orange and then layered with honey sweetened yoghurt and roasted oats.
The magic in this dish is the contrast of flavours and textures: tart fruit topped with gently sweet smooth yoghurt and crunchy oats.
The original recipe involved a few more steps (and calories): some cream whipped stiff with golden sugar that is folded into the yoghurt and finally some cookies crumbled over the top of it all. But I kept it a little simpler – as this treat is all about enjoying the summer.
(a little altered from Albert Heijn ‘Jools Schotse Zondag‘)
250g mixed frozen summer fruits (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc)
1 twig of fresh rosemary
2-3 tbsp honey
1/2 an orange
optional: 1-2 tbsp butter
100g Greek Yoghurt 0% fat
- Place frozen fruit, rosemary and 1/2 tbsp of the honey in a little pan.
- Grate in the orange peel and stir in juice.
- Bring to the boil. After a few minutes, when the fruit is soft and has released some juice, use a slotted spoon to remove the fruit and allow it to cool.
- Discard the rosemary and allow the sauce to cook a little longer and thicken. Add to the fruit.
- In a separate pan melt the butter (if using) and add oats and 1 tbsp of honey. Cook stirring regularly until the oats have turned golden.
- Stir the remaining tbsp of honey into the yoghurt.
- Layer the glasses with fruit, yoghurt, oats (repeat layers). Finish with a little fruit and/or oats.
Tips & Variations
- Whip 50g cream with some golden sugar until stiff and fold into the yoghurt
- Add some crumbled cookies to the layers
Thank you! It is the simplest little recipe!
Love easy, tasty recipes like this! I bet it’s very yummy with the rosemary and orange. 🙂
You got it just right: it is the orange and rosemary that just add that little bit of extra!!
Yummm! Here I can use my home grown rosemary too! A lovely tasty special breakfast! x
Makes me proud to hear that this little recipe can compete with your fabulous breakfast smoothies 😉 Thank you, my dear! x
xxx 🙂 Ooh yes!
Love the presentation! So elegant.
That is really sweet of you to say. Especially as I really was struggling with the presentation 🙂
Oh this looks fantabulous treat for summer. …
You are exactly right: effortless enough for a lazy summer day, but at the same time full of nutrients to get you through a hot day 🙂
I do love it when breakfast looks like dessert! It’s a very pretty parfait you have there and more so in the grown up Martini glass. Pretty!!!
🙂 hihi I have to admit that holding that glass by its stem and spooning my breakfast from it added that special little touch – that moment when you grin to yourself about how blissful life can be 🙂
This looks and sounds deliciously refreshing, Afra! Ich fühle mich bei dieser Hitze schon ein paar angenehme Grad kühler beim Anschauen und Lesen :-).
🙂 Ja bei dieser hitze schaue und lese ich auch lieber als das ich in der kueche stehe. Das kochen ist bei mir im augenblick auch auf dem “back burner” gelandet 😉
wow, lovwly ones!!!
nice morning supper, best to starting a day!!!
Great combination of flavors, specially the rosemary..that is a great idea.